Friday, May 25, 2007

PET scan results

Thank you so much, dear family and friends, for the wonderful outpouring of love, prayers, and support that Will and I have received in the last two weeks. I can't help but see how even now God is reminding us, in you, of how blessed and beloved we really are.

Today I went in for my PET scan at noon. The doctor called us this evening and said that the scan shows no signs of cancer outside of the lymph node system. At this point, this is definitely good news. :) I am now officially at stage IIIc. There were worries that it had spread elsewhere, but since it is locally contained at this point, the affected nodes can be surgically removed.

Nevertheless, things are moving quickly- surgery is set up for June 1st, a week from today. It will consist of 5 hours under the knife, 3 days or so in the hospital, followed by a week in bed. And post-op treatment will probably involve dosages of interferon. While there's a relatively high chance of the cancer returning after this, there is also a decent chance of it being completely eradicated. We are praying for the latter!

Thank you again for your prayers and your kind words.

-Aimee

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aim, so glad to hear/read this news!

PLEASE let me know if you need me -cooking (eek), cleaning, watching the kids, anything.

Love to you both,
~Sadie

Mama said...

Aimee and Will -
Kelly called me while I was visiting my family in Maine and I am just now getting home and on to my computer.
I received word about the novena a couple days late, but I'll start now - - I'm sure the prayers will still go through just fine!
I'm so sorry to hear this scary news, but wow - you both seem to really have a handle on it. And the fact that the cancer has not spread is such excellent news - - it provides an additional dose of hope to the equation!
Neil, the kids and I will keep you in our prayers daily, and I will check back here often.
Love and prayers!
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy for you! Love and prayers, Sheila, Douglas, Antonia, Augusta, and Dominic More (O'Connor) Ambrose

Anonymous said...

I'm soo happy for y'all!!!! Ditto all of Sadie's offers of help too!!!

Glenn Arbery said...

Dearest Aimee and Will,
We hope that the lymph nodes will get it all. We've all been waiting for news all day. Went to Mass today and tomorrow on Don's birthday we will especially ask for his intercession and St. Philip Neri. We are all with you in spirit.
Love,
Ginny
Monica sends hugs to Xavier and Matilda.

Anonymous said...

Such good news! I'll let Grace know that the prayers for "Tilly's mama" are working (Greg is in Dallas seeing Louise et al, and he took the novena with him). Love to all of you from all of us.

Kathleen

Joan said...

Oh, thank goodness. Lots of love and prayers to y'all!

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee and Will:

What a relief that the news is as good as it is! We will all rejoice and keep up our prayers. I'll join my own with Don's today on his birthday.
Much love,
Grandmama

Damien Fisher said...

Aimee and Will- HOORAY! What a long week it must have been for you.

We'll continue to keep you guys in our prayers. Clara (age 6) has been randomly suggesting that we pray for you during the day.

Anonymous said...

A local parish has a shrine to St.Peregrine and we will light a candle for you there the day of your surgery. In our prayers...the seattle Kellys.

Anonymous said...

hi aimee and will,

you're in our prayers. let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

john barger

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee,
Please know that you and Will have been in my thoughts and prayers every day since we at TMC learned of your diagnosis. I was so pleased to hear the latest news from Don yesterday. Although it's been over five years since my own diagnosis and surgery, the memories of those first few weeks came flooding back and my heart aches knowing what you and Will are going through now. Be assured that there is an "I can do this" and a "We can get through this together" point in all of this even if you haven't reached it yet, or it seems to fade from sight from time to time. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Ms. E.
a.k.a., Deborah