Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Of Plague and Pull Up Diapers

Forgive our silence, dear readers. (I have offended the muse by being silent. Apollo no longer regards me. * Perhaps deservedly then, ...) We have been sick, sick, sick. I think, in the last three and a half weeks, there have been three distinct cold viruses that have knocked us off our feet, and kept us off. Momma, Poppa, babies, and all. We have rarely ventured out into the cold. Instead, we have spent our time in the ever entertaining, ever frustrating, never ending job of potty training. Now Xavier spends all his days jockeying for m & m's; he reminds me that, "Auntie Beth says you should get a treat no matter how little you do..." He can use that room as much as 20 times an hour and yet still have an accident ten minutes later--but, I must admit, he is improving. He is covered in pirate temporary tattoos to prove it. And in the midst of all of this, I have constantly seen how wonderfully sweet he is about sharing with his sister. After an especially good job, I gave him four m&m's. I told him three were for him and one was to share with Tilly. He said he didn't think that was fair and gave her two. (Makes a Mom happy at least!) As for Tilly, she has entered into the game with gusto. She is doing a great job. But while Xavier is in it for the action (get in, get out, rack up candy points), Tilly is a woman of leisure. She prefers to perch by the hour, books piling ever deeper around her, yelling out every ten minutes, "More book, Momma!" refusing to budge before she is good and ready to do so. So wish us luck. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we succeeded in training the both of them?!? I'll stop revealing the darkest secrets of our family life now, but I'm pretty sure next time you hear from me, you may have to hear more about the continuing adventures of the Diaper Dude.

I'm off to teach tonight, back to school last Thursday. So far, so good. I hope you all are very well and have avoided this midwinter malady. With love

(* Tate's loose translation of the Vigil of Venus)

7 comments:

meg and greg said...

Wheeeeee, we are so excited that you have reached such a milestone! It is just as important as walking, sitting up, or crawling. And M&Ms still work here for small jobs around the house! And if necessary, you can use the egg timer to remind the big guy. That worked for my nephew, Luke, when he stayed with us. Of course, now, I'm afraid that he will ask to be excused whenever he hears any bell, in school, on the street, etc... for the rest of his life. But, he even got the point where he could re-set the timer for himself.(I even bought him his own timer to take home with him. Good thinking, Auntie Meg, timer + toddler + newborn twin sisters = trouble.) So have fun in the pottie trenches--next they'll be asking for drivers permits!! (Did you also get the treasured G&P pottie?)

Anonymous said...

I have certainly found potty training the most annoying...ahem..challenging (to be pc)of parenting. God help us when they become teenagers! I let Joseph stay nude for about 2 weeks which worked great (it was February in Minnesota so perhaps an incentive to get it down and get the clothes back on). The other part took another 8 months to master which required another weekend of repeated "you can do it -- just sit there." Now we're working on the aim -- do you remember those octopus things that you attached to a hose as a kid during the summer? Well that's pretty much what my bathroom wall looks like nevermind the toilet seat. I just avoid that bathroom (luckily we have 2) and keep clorox wipes nearby when necessary. Ok, probably TMI already but I sympathize with you since we just got out of that phase ... now onto the next one. Hope you all are feeling better soon. We've all been bogged down by multiple viruses as well so it's not just the cold weather in Boston since it was 68 today. Cheers!! Kelly C.

Petrus said...

Yeah for X & T :) Next they're be receiving their diplomas from college! They grow up so fast :)

meg and greg said...

Another thought, don't forget "fancy pants". They don't have to only come in the red panties with lacies on the back types. They can be dinosaurs, Ninja Turtles, Strawberry Shortcakes, even just a plain bright color. (Although, for girls, something with a ruffle does seem to help.;) Keep your waders on!;)

Anonymous said...

Thank the stars I didn't have to potty train the dog! I'd be sunk! My hats are off to all the parents!
-Uncle Ted
PS. Sorry I've been out of touch. I was in Sweden, London and CA in the last two weeks. If I don't get deep-vein thrumbosis after that travel...I never will.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Cowans! I think Aidan's potty-training will last at least a year when all is said and done...
I hadn't thought of M&Ms though - I guess they would be more of an incentive than brussels sprouts, huh! ;)
Take care,
Katy

meg and greg said...

Sending lots of prayers today as you go for the next dose.XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
aND LOTS OF PRAYERS AND GOOD WISHES