Friday, May 08, 2009

Along the Row

One of Aimee's friends contacted me today about the reading of a poem Aimee had recorded while she worked at the archives department at Tufts. It's called "Along the Row" by John Holmes:

http://dca.lib.tufts.edu/features/holmes/world/row/row.html


Along the Row

The bell rang from the Chapel while we walked.
Oh, where are autumn days and nights like these!
I showed my friend the tower above the hill,
And Capen Path, Ballou between the trees.

A gate in the fence showed faintly in the dusk.
In East and West the lights began to shine.
A group of men passed by and called "Hullo-"
My heart sang, and I thought, "My college- mine!"

The Row in autumn twilight! Tall dark trees
Leaned kindly over us. We talked of games,
But I remembered old familiar friends,
And I was silent, thinking of old names.

The men who walked the Row before my time
Were by my side, good ghosts my heart awoke-
While I must show my friend the tennis court,
The newest hall for men, the gym. He spoke:

"How you must love this place!" My heart stood still
And ached to think how much I love this Hill.

7 comments:

Christl said...

How wonderful to hear her read! I can just see her pouring over the poem and then speaking it in that clear, musical voice of hers (with that witty, low undertone). It's a treasure, and thanks for sharing it with us, Will! I hope they'll keep it always in the archives so we can go back to it and experience her voice again and again.
Love,
Mom

Michele said...

Thanks for the link. It was wonderful to hear her voice again.

I have to admit that we laughed many times on Marshall Street over the "My college--mine!" line. She had a hard time reading the poem without laughing. :)

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing that Will. It was really lovely to hear her voice and with it have the image of her beautiful face and lovely smile come flooding into my memory. I hope we see you some time this summer! Love to you and the kids!
Annie

Beth said...

What a treat to hear that beautiful voice again! Brought me right back to high school and our antics there. I could hear a smile in her voice at one part, she was always so expressive! Certain words she says brings me back to our days of Anne of Green Gables - her Anne to my Diana. Lovely, thank you for posting it.

I was able to record this off the internet and put it in a wav format if anyone wants it (and in case it is removed from the archives!)

Bethg

w. wilson said...

Honestly, we all joked about how these poems were not, to put it lightly, Shakespeare. And I was there when these were recorded, and there was a giggling problem...Still, a treasure.

Anonymous said...

We want pics from your trip!
Love, Kate Skidd!

Anonymous said...

Hi Will... Just thinking of you and the kids... sending out good vibes, good thoughts... and hope all is well....

As always
Chris, Tom, Liam and Marc Skopal... formerly of Syracuse NY... we are now the Bethlehem, PA Skopal family :)