Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Latest Update.

Not the news we had hoped for. We went to see Dr. Atkins today at 3:00pm. We were hoping that the surgery would have eliminated all evidence of cancer. Unfortunately, Dr. Atkins said that the PET scan revealed that the cancer had spread to lymph nodes above those that were removed in surgery. We thought maybe there would be microscopic remnants of cancer here and there, but there seems to be a little more than that.

Treatment, though, will be relatively the same. Aimee will undergo a high-dose treatment of Interleukin-II. This will involve 1 week of inpatient hospitalization, where they administer Interleukin-II 3 times a day for 5 days. Then, she'll come home for a week, then go back for one more week of treatment. We're not sure exactly when this will start-- soon, of course-- but they'll let us know all the details this Monday.

Although only 20% of patients respond to this treatment, we have a lot of hope, not to mention a lot of prayers backing us up. So keep at it! And besides, the doctor "assures" us that Aimee will be ready to teach in the fall. :)

We'll let you know when the treatment is set to go. Thank you, everyone, for listening to us and praying for us.

6 comments:

Christl said...

We will all keep praying. With all the prayers of the community behind you, the mixed news you keep getting will become positive. Please know that we suffer with you, we rejoice with you, we kneel with you in prayer, and we hold you close in our hearts--all this, always!

Love and prayers,
Chris and Bainard

Claire said...

We are thinking of you, Aimee, Will, Xavier and Tillie! Aimee, you remain in our prayers for a strong recovery, and we continue to wish you all comfort and peace during this trying battle. We love you!

Claire, Victor, Anthony, Nina, & Dante

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee and Will,
Just wanted you to know that I, as you might have suspected, have a huge backlog of unused prayers I've been keeping in reserve. They're yours now.
Love,
Ms E./Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, Katie has been sending notes with updates. I am in Costa Rica and it isnt that easy to get online very often but thanks for keeping this site. It goes without saying that I am thinking about you both here in my little corner of the world.

Yours, John-Charles D'Imperio

Anonymous said...

My dear valiant ones,
I'm proud of you, suffering with you, and praying for you night and day.
Grandmama


Remember the words of the Psalmist:


The Lord is my light and my salvation
Whom should I fear?
The Lord is my life’s refuge
Of whom should I be afraid?
When evildoers come against me
To devour my flesh
My foes and my enemies
Themselves stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me
My heart will not fear;
Though war be waged upon me
Even then will I trust.
. . . . . . .
. . . . . .
Wait for the Lord
Be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord.
--from Ps. 27

Anonymous said...

Dear Amimee, Willand children,
Just wanted to let you know as bad as things looked last year at this time for NIck and Katrina, Everything looks good now. Prayers are truly the best way to get through this. And it looks like you have lots of those. Our family will storm Heaven for your intentions. Hang in there.
God Bless, Love The Laughlin Clan