Thursday, June 19, 2008

Eastern Medicine

This last week we have ventured into eastern medicine with two visits to the acupuncturist. This has been an interesting experience. My first visit took over two hours, but my second (this morning) was a hour. In all that time, the acupuncturist only puts about 9-12 needles into me. At first she asks what is hurting, where and why. Then, I get up on the table; she puts 1-2 hair-thin needles in my hands, arms, legs, feet and in the skin between my eyebrows. She puts each one in until she feels a tug and I feel a twinge and then adjusts it till it is comfortable to me. Next--the strangest part to me--she leaves me there to sleep or meditate (or say the rosary) with the needles in for 30-45 minutes. The bodily sensation is both relaxing and a little frightening as I feel somewhat paralyzed and comatose with the needles in. Then she comes back, takes them out and I'm done. So far though, the results have been good. I have slept more in the last two nights than I had in a long time and the nausea seems improved. Food is still a challenge but it seems to be very slowly getting better. I have still been losing, rather than gaining, weight, so hopefully this will help some.

And we did hear about the latest melanoma treatment coming out of Seattle (Click here for the story). Reading up on it in the New England Journal of Medicine, we find it still is very much in its preliminary stages with only one documented success and now only open to those who have been given more than 6 weeks but less than 6 months to live. Only 12 people are expected to be accepted for the next trial. However, we emailed our doctor about it and are waiting to hear what he has to say (apparently, wisely forseeing the melanomic frenzy that would ensue, he is out of the office for the day). We will definitely keep a hopeful eye on what develops. And again, we'll let you know what we hear... :)

Lots of love and many thanks for thinking of us,
Aimee

6 comments:

meg and greg said...

So glad to hear there have been some progress in sleep. Sleep is one of the best "healers" in nature. I was reading in a LLL magazine that lack of sleep is one of the leading causes of post-partem depression...which explains why I eat chocolate and still weigh 50 lbs too much. So find a snugglie blanket and a cool dark corner and sleep on. (By the way, were you able to get some "take-out" to go with those needles?) ;)
Meg

Anonymous said...

Dearest Aimee,
We are praying and hoping you will come and see us...if anyone can "fatten" you up, you know it is me...the proof is in the pudding! We had bears in the back yard coming to eat at the bird buffet this afternoon, so I know we can add some excitement to your aperitiff.(SP)!
Our love, good thoughts and loads of prayers are flowing your way..see you soon...the kettle is on! The Rocks and pebbles

Petrus said...

You definitely give a new meaning to "sitting on pins and needles". That joke reminds me of Kate Purcell :)

Glad to hear its helping with the sleeping and the eating!!!

Continued prayers & much love,
Jessica

meg and greg said...

Just one more question...does it mean you are a pinhead? Heeheehee. Sorry, had to ask Meg

RKR said...

Hey guys,
A friend was over yesterday and mentioned the melanoma research you linked to. It's such a fascinating discovery.

So pleased the acupuncture is working. My brother Evan has had acupuncture work of some kind and it's almost entirely cured him of otherwise debilitating (especially since he's starting to run the family farm) allergies. Maybe there's something to (some of) all this Eastern stuff after all.

Still, don't put away those rosary beads!

Love and hugs,
Nee

Annie said...

Glad to hear that something is helping with the sleep at least...I hope it helps with other things too! If nothing else it is nice to have the extra time with Our Lady! The new trial sounds encouraging, and we will certainly be praying that it can benefit you if possible! Thank you for the update..we LOVE YOU!!

Annie and gang