Tuesday, April 01, 2008

An apple juice a day...

Will and I just got home from our big introduction to the world of RAF treatments. It was a long day, but a pleasantly unremarkable one. We arrived at 8 am to the hospital, whereupon I was assigned my own room and my own nurse. She started an IV, took blood, hooked me up to the EKG pads and took my heart readings once every six minutes for seven readings in a row. This whole time, there was some fierce debate about whether I actually could get the drug today as no one had told me I should have fasted from midnight and I had happily eaten english muffins at six in order to fortify myself for the long day ahead. But finally, I was given the go ahead, the lab order was sent, and the drug came up around ten. (There are these great thick blue chemo gloves and yellow gowns the nurses have to wear around patients once the drugs are present that make it nearly impossible for them to do any of the fine detail work that they need to do--it is a bit funny.) The drug itself was not too bad; they mix it up with apple juice and I drink it in one swallow. It tastes a little funny, but we've all had worse. Then there were hourly EKG readings and blood draws, but, after three hours more of fasting, there was also lunch. They sent us home around 6:30. After today, I'll go back for about an hour daily for the week, and then will just have the once weekly long day in the hospital and take the drug at home myself on the other days thereafter.

I feel amazingly well. I may have a harder time as the month progresses and the drug accumulates in my system, but...we'll see. I've been so lucky so far...

With love :)
A

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the day went well! We missed you at Sturbridge Village. We love you guys! Love, Kate, Mercedes, and Lilly

Anonymous said...

Your spirit is such an inspiration, Aimee. And your observant eye, too! Prayers continue nonstop for you. The Augustinians of the Assumption ad theirs.

Much much love,
Papa B

RKR said...

Hi Aim,
Praying that the side-effects are minimal and this time around does the trick!
You make me want to make a designated donation to those poor nurses, for colour co-ordinated outfits that both protect and allow fine motor skills.
Love,
Nee

Claire said...

Our prayers are with you for a successful treatment this time around. We hope the bad taste of the spiked apple juice is the worst of the side effects!
I'll be in Boston tomorrow through Sunday--I'll make sure to visit with guys! Can't wait to see you! lots of love,
Claire & Co.

Petrus said...

Don't you love the fact that they have to wear riot gear for something that you're drinking!!! You really are brave, and on my wall of heroes!! Lots of love.

meg and greg said...

Dearest Cowans, so glad that all is going well. We are praying that it all continues that way. Things are crazy here. We survived Parish dinner and all seemed to have a great time. The dog hasn't run away yet. No one has gotten sick from Easter candy. James and Sheila's baby is finally home...came home last Weds. (Think the shakes and low blood sugar were from meds.) And they asked me to be god mother! We are trying to get ready for the trip. I'm not sure how Will will do so say a prayer for Grandma.
Anyway, keep your chin up and watch out for the "haz-mat" ladies...they might try to slip you something (chocolate shake, alcohol, etc...). If it is a shake, get the big one. Or maybe a "razberry cordial"!!!
We love you!!!!!!!The Kanzanians.

Anonymous said...

Good good good! Great to get started and that it's not too terrible at this point. Hope X & T are being more plaint these days than M & J ! (M ran across a street with her friend today as I yelled to them repeatedly to stop.) She may not be the best influence at the moment...

All our love continuously,
Hilary and Kevin

Annie said...

Glad to hear that it wasn't too brutal, and that as of yet the side-effects are minimal! We will pray that that continues. You are, as always, an inspiration and I wish we were closer so we could help you in the daily trials of life! We love you all and are always praying for you!
Oh, on a "Muller-update" note, Adam is turning in a "first-final draft" to Dr Cowan today!!! Keep him in your prayers :-) LOVE YOU ALL!!
Annie and clan

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Aimee! You are such a wonderful example of patience and of trust in God - our prayers and well-wishes are with you all!

With love,
Katy & Fam

Anonymous said...

So, how did it go today?
Love ya, Kate

Anonymous said...

Aimee and Will,

Ever checking in on your blog (does one "visit" a blog, as one does a Web site?) for the privilege of sharing your vivid and witty reflections, your amazing perspective, I thank you (as usual) and renew assurances that you're on my mind and in prayers here always.

Love, Mary M.